We explored the idea of choice this week in the learning materials, and I was able to use this to create a list of all the choices my campaign provides to the user, and then consider whether any of them could be removed, changed or streamlined to make their experience easier:
- Do nothing
- Look at website
- Read general info
- Read specific info
- Read doctor recommendations
- Access forum
- Contact us
- Ask doctor
- Choose a doctor
- Decide what to ask
- Find out more (other source)
- Google info
- Choose a trusted source
- Find other sources
- Read pamphlet
- Access website
- Contact us
- Access social media
- Engage on social media
- Choice of social media platform
- How engaged they want to be (active participant or just read)
- Share or not share information with others
- Discuss with friends
- Who to share with
- How much to share
- Discuss with family
- Who to share with
- How much to share
Are all of the choices necessary? Do the add or detract from the user experience? Are there any you can cut?
I feel as though these choices are necessary, but it will really depend on the individual to decide how much or little interaction they have with the campaign, therefore it is good to provide easy ways to interact. I feel as though the choices do add to the user experience, as I mentioned above, because it allows each user with a different need to access the campaign in a different way, and get something different out of it as required. This being said, there could potentially be a reduction of information – from general and specific, to info that covers the most important categories of information instead. This could help the user feel less overwhelmed when accessing the website, for example. I think streamlining the social media interaction could also work – reducing choices to one or two main platforms that teens are more likely to use.
Are the consequences of each choice presented clearly to the user? Have the consequences been made real?
I am hoping that I can make the consequences of doing nothing real to the user. This was never an intended choice for the campaign, but it is inevitable that some users won’t want to interact, so I feel it’s important to include. Conversely, I can’t find any real negative consequences to the other options provided, as any help the user chooses to seek will benefit them in the long run. Reiterating the benefits of seeking help will address this, making them seem real, and explaining how getting help could make their lives better.
Can you simplify the choices by categorising them in a manner that has meaning for the user?
Yes, I think that I could categorise the information provided on the website better, which would mean that the user could find info based on their reason for accessing the website, rather than having to look through many options before finding what they want.
Can you condition users to the decision-making process by starting with simple choices?
Yes, I think this would definitely help. I could start on the website by providing info based on “are you a sufferer?” or “do you want to know about endo or find out where to get help?” and then having a yes/no option to filter the information down until they get where they want to be. This would be particularly useful for teens to simplify the information, particularly as for many of them it may be their first experience with endometriosis and it could be otherwise overwhelming.
I found this and the pizza order activity really interesting, particularly as I hadn’t noticed there were so many choices available for what I considered a pretty standard campaign. I think that moving forward I’m going to be more conscious of the value of the choices that I provide to the user, and make sure that ultimately, they don’t “do nothing”.
Following this I began developing some of my campaign materials, beginning with the logo:
At the moment I’m exploring the different variations of the logo, and hopefully I can refine this further. At the moment I am running with just the quote box seen on the right for the other campaign materials, with the ‘paper doll’ figures contributing graphically to the materials rather than in the logo.
Following this I worked on creating two posters based partly on these logos, using ideas which I thought were too busy for a logo, but could create a strong message when used on a poster:
They’re both in draft stages at the moment, but I feel like with a little tweaking they could become effective communication tools. These would be placed in high schools, with places such as the girls’ bathroom being the idea forum for them.
I then started working on a draft of the website. There are a lot of different pages to the site, so I’ve tried to just get the look and feel down pat, and then populate the other pages in the future:
Finally, I’ve begun working on a brochure aimed at teenage girls. This would again be distributed in high schools, in places such as the sick bay and offices, as well as being handed out during health education classes:
This uses a lot of the infographic content created for assessment 2, but the simplicity of it and the readability make it an ideal way to communicate to teens.
Next week I’m hoping to continue developing these materials, and refine what I do have based on feedback I recieve.