The first sketch above uses a more familiar International Typographic Style grid, with three columns, and each area of text coming off of the central column. The design would use sans serif character synonymous with the movement, and would also hopefully communicate the message effectively.
The second option above would use four coloured numbers which would be overlayed to create a strong graphic effect. The three areas of text would then be placed amongst the gaps left by the numbers. This option wouldn’t leave room for images, but could potentially provide an interesting way to communicate the message, in fitting with the International Typographic Style of the 1940s.
The final option above would use three triangles of primary colour as the base of the design. This layout would be asymmetrical, with the images and text taking on irregular shapes, which could potentially add some dynamism to the composition. The images would have a difference filter applied to leave a more muted effect, and there would potentially be a lot of contrast between the weights and sizes of the headings and body text.
From here I’m hoping to narrow my choice down to my final option, and from there work on it digitally to see how the sketch could be applied to the final layout!
I’ve been working on my proposal for Typography project 4, which looks at typographic design from a given decade. My designated decade was 1940-50.
After doing a lot of research, I’ve decided to go with three areas of content for the poster which will comprise the final submission. The first is the Swiss Typographic Style/International Typographic Style; the Phototypesetter machine, and the Trade Gothic typeface by Jackson Burke.
I’ve organized the content for the proposal into a few pages, which includes some initial sketches of the poster design. Hopefully I can develop this in the coming weeks!
This week I have begun working on project 2, which is a group project. We were asked to create a typographic poster featuring a quote, and each of us had different limitations placed on how many fonts, colours, and sizes we could use to create it. The quote my group was given is as follows:
‘To push the boundaries, you need to know where the edges are’
My restrictions are that I can only use one typeface, but have unlimited use of point size and colours. I’ve begun researching how I can approach this project, and I think I want something quite unique if possible. I’ve found a few great examples of different ways I could approach this:
So a lot of different ideas here to take inspiration from! Hopefully I can find a solution that also ties into the ideas of my other group members.
References for the above images are below:
Robertson, K. n.d., ‘Paul Rand’ [image], Paul Rand in Daniel Bear Hunley’s Typography and Lettering Board, Pinterest, viewed 4th August 2016, https://au.pinterest.com/pin/67905906862084857/
‘Bad Design’ [image] n.d., Bad Design in Canva’s Poster Designs Board, Pinterest, viewed 4th August 2016, https://au.pinterest.com/pin/190066046751184311/
‘Think Outside the Box’ n.d., Think Outside the Box in Francina Pluut’s Teksten Board, Pinterest, viewed 4th August 2016, https://au.pinterest.com/pin/343681015296566832/
So after a lot of trial and error, I’ve come up with a few images which I am quite happy with. Initially I was struggling with reconciling the material (concrete) and the meaning behind the word honest. I explored different ways of approaching it, including using thread, which ended up losing the meaning of the material. In the end I felt that retaking some photos using light shone through a stencil highlighted the dirtiness of the concrete, which is where its honesty lies.
These are my three final shots. I’ve included a lot of patination in the concrete I chose for the composition to highlight that this is how concrete acts as a material – it weathers, ages and becomes imperfect – and there is beauty in the material because of this.
Any feedback on which photo I should choose is welcome!
I’ve been developing my concept for project 1, and have done a few sketches to try and work out how I want to approach it.
I initially explored the idea of suspending card pieces over concrete to create a shadow of the word honest, but this would have been hard to achieve when shooting outside on concrete. The other option above left uses transparency sheets which could be overlapped. These would cast a subtle shadow onto the concrete sidewalk below, which would allow the ‘honest’ quality of the concrete (the patina, dirt, texture, etc.) to show through. This may not be effective enough to cast a shadow though.
Further developing this idea, I started looking at the idea of creating a stencil out of card, which either light or shadow could be cast through to form the word on the concrete below. I’m not sure which will be the most effective; I think I may have to do some trials to see which turns out the best. I’m happy with the direction the project is taking so far though!
Following the initial sketches for the publication layout, I’ve created a few different options in InDesign, trialling my ‘inspiration’ page. Let me know which one you like best!
I’ve been trialling a few different layout options for the design process document for project 1. They’re all quite rough at this point in time, but I’m hoping once I start trying these options out in InDesign I’ll be able to refine them further to create something I’m happy with!